Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vegan Meatball Recipe


This vegan meatball recipe is made using a few simple ingredients. In fact, I really wanted to make vegan meatballs but I did not have the proper ingredients for any one recipe. I made my own version using ingredients we had in the house. I was pretty nervous it wasn't going to work out, but Rich and I both loved them!

I have been wanting to make vegan meatballs from scratch for some time because I am against the fake meat products. I don't mean seitan, tempeh or tofu. I feel those foods are not trying to be a food they are not (although people can make them into dishes that resemble meat products). I don't like fake vegan products because they are not very healthy.

In order to make vegan food taste like meat, additives (sodium, natural and artificial flavorings, etc) must be used to get the meat-like flavor and consistency. When I make vegan burgers or meatballs, they don't taste like the meat-filled alternative because they are not filled with meat! They taste like something earthier and healthier that is a food all on its own.

When I first started eating more vegan food, I bought vegan meatballs and chopmeat for tacos. They both tasted so artificial! I assumed they were healthy when I bought them because they were vegan. When I looked at the nutritional value upon arriving home, I was appalled. They were very processed, sodium filled, and had lots of artificial flavors.
Homemade vegan meatballs
These vegan meatballs went really well with spelt pasta and lots of red sauce. You could also make a vegan meatball sandwich by placing them on some bread and adding sauce.

Yield: 24 meatballs
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon blak pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dill
1/2 cup oats
3 cups cooked chick peas
2 medium carrots
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4-1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh parsley

"Raw" vegan meatballs cooking

Method 
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
2. Finely chop 1 large onion.
3. When the oil is hot, add the onion and minced garlic. Saute the onion mixture until it starts to turn brown. Then add your spices and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove this pan from heat and set aside.
4. If you are making pasta, put up your water now so it will be ready on time.
5. Place 1/2 cup of oats in a blender or food processor. Blend until they are finely ground. Remove the oats from the blender and place in a large bowl.
6. Place the chickpeas in the blender and pulse until they are mashed (this should take less than 1 minute).
7. Add the chickpeas to the bowl.

Cooked vegan meatballs
 8.Add the grated carrots, nutritional yeast, and 1/4 cup water. Mix by hand until the mixture is well combined and wet but sticky. You may need to add up to 1/2 cup of water to get the desired consistency. When you have the right consistency, add the parsley and the onion mixture.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, roll the chickpea mixture into ball of your desired size and cook them until browned on each side.
10. Enjoy hot on pasta or a sandwich!


                                      
I shared my fake vegan food pet peeve……fake meat products. Do you have one to share? 

2 comments:

  1. I love the taste of those frozen fake vegan hot dogs and unchicken nuggets. My pet peeve is that they have to be highly processed to taste like meat. I wish I could have my health and eat it too. These vegan meatballs, while they don't taste like beef, are a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete