Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ways to Eat Kale: Sauteed Kale



sauteed kale

As I shopped for the essentials like everyone else pre-Sandy, I was surprised to find one of my staples was sold out. Along with the batteries and water, kale- my favorite leafy green- was also gone from the shelves. Luckily I still had some reserves back home.


raw kale

What is kale anyway and why is it so popular? Kale is a green and leafy vegetable that is jam packed with nutrients and fiber. Although it is often used in salads, kale is actually more closely related to cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower than it is to lettuce.  Kale has grown so popular, mainly among foodies, because of its high nutritional value. 

According to WebMD:

One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

Naturally, with stats like that I want to eat as much of this superfood as I can! I try to have a little everyday in my green smoothie. Today, I made a lovely dish of sauteed kale. It made for a nutritious lunch after a long run in the rain. It would also make a great a great side dish.

The shallots gave the dish a sweetness that was a nice contrast to the earthy kale. The garlic added a savory aroma and taste which left me wanting more. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!



Ingredients
2 cups of fresh kale
1/2 shallot
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 lemon
1 clove of garlic
pepper to taste

Method
1. In a pan on medium, heat the olive oil and add 1/2 chopped shallot.
2. After 3 minutes add garlic and saute for another 5 minutes until the shallots start to brown.
3. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon.
4. Add the kale with the lemon on top.  Put the lid on the pan and cook for about 3-5 more minutes.
5.  When the kale color becomes a deeper shade of green, you know you are done.
6. Season with pepper and enjoy warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment