1 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 ½ cup veggie broth
¾ cup beer (I used a Left Hand Milk Stout)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 medium potatoes
½ cup soymilk
½ cup mushrooms
3 celery stalks
½ cup frozen corn
½ cup frozen peas
½ tsp fresh pepper
½ tsp curry
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp turmeric
Optional: Breadcrumbs for topping
Optional: Daiya Mozzarella for the top
- Boil chopped and peeled potatoes in a large pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sauté onion in 1 tbs olive oil until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, and parsnip. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add spices.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth to the pan and cover on medium heat. This way you don’t have to use so much oil, vegetables will cook using the water.
- In a separate bowl combine 1 cup vegetable broth, ½ cup beer, 3 tbsp of flour, and tomato paste and whisk.
- While the vegetables are cooking, return to the potatoes.
- Drain potatoes when they are soft and blend them (using an electric mixer) with soymilk and pepper. Set aside.
- When the vegetables in the pan are soft enough to sick a fork through the carrots and celery, add the mixed vegetable broth, beer, flour, and tomato paste. Continue to cook in pan until a thick gravy forms.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a tall baking dish or brownie pan.
- Place the mashed potatoes on top.
- Top with breadcrumbs and bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.