|Cranberry Pomegranate Pearled Couscous with Stuffed Artichoke|
I actually made this recipe for Valentine’s Day. It made for a very festive presentation with the red cranberries and pomegranate seeds. I also made stuffed artichokes, but they didn’t turn out so well. In fact, I think they managed to turn Rich and I off of artichokes for a bit. Since we didn’t really like the artichokes, the couscous carried our Valentine’s Day meal. It was bursting with flavor and sweet without being overly so. I usually eat regular couscous so larger pearled consistency was a welcome change. I recommend this meal as a delightful side. It is also a great thing to make in bulk and bring to work for lunchtime. It is enjoyable warm or cold
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 cup uncooked pearled (Israeli) couscous
1 tbsp. Earth Balance Butter Spread
1 tbsp. honey
¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
The seeds from one pomegranate
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chickpeas
1. Add water, cumin, and cinnamon to a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once the water boils, add the couscous, bring the temperature down to simmer, and add the lid to the pot. Cook this way for 8-10 minutes. It is done when the couscous is tender upon biting.
3. Mix in Earth Balance and honey until the honey is dissolved.
4. Place this mixture in a larger mixing bowl.
5. Add orange juice, pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, and chickpeas. Stir until blended.
6. Serve warm or cold.