Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter!





















I have two addictions, chocolate and peanut butter. I have been obsessed with peanut butter ever since I can remember. As a child, I ate it right out of the jar (but of course never anymore). I still remember when I discovered Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter from The Peanut Butter Company in college. I would splurge on a $6 small jar and eat it all in a few days. In an attempt to replicate this, I decided my first attempt at making peanut butter would be chocolate peanut butter.




The Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter that I loved so much in college



Ingredients
1. 2 1/2 cups unsalted organic peanuts
2. 4 dates
3. 3 tbsp coco powder
4. 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
5. 1tsp vanilla
6. 1tbsp honey (or any other sweetener)
7. 1/2 tsp salt
8. 1 tbsp oil (You can use most kinds in your house. I used grape seed oil and it worked well)

Method
1. Blend the peanuts in the food processor. At first it will just seem very dry, let it continue for about 2 minutes, scrapping the sides as needed, and it will start to become a little more moist. 
2. Add the dates and blend again. The dates help to sweeten the peanut butter as well moisten the peanut butter. This will mean less added oil later.
3. Add coco powder and chocolate chips and blend again.
4. Add vanilla, honey, salt and blend. 
5. Slowly add 1 tbsp of oil. You can add more if you would like, I found that I really didn't need any more than that.
6. Place in canisters and refrigerate.
I got 3 canisters of peanut butter (I made two batches). 




This recipe is low in added oil, salt, and sugar (for a chocolate peanut butter). Most importantly, it is delicious! It is also really cost effective. I got the peanuts I needed in the bulk bin and the other costs were miniscule. I figured out that each jar costs about $2 if you use organic ingredients compared to $6 in the store.



Next time I will try a honey roasted version. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment