Saturday, May 25, 2013

Homemade Vegan Cracker Recipe

I have been wanting to make homemade crackers for some time. Yesterday Rich surprised me and got me my favorite vegan cheese. I really wanted some crackers to go with it, but the gourmet corner store wanted to charge me $5 for about 12 crackers that had half of their calories from fat. I couldn't justify it on so many levels. I decided this would be a great opportunity to finally make my own!
My favorite vegan cheese - made in Brooklyn!
This recipe was amazingly simple and I was pleasantly surprised by the crackers! They were light and savory. The whole wheat flour gave them a hearty flavor. The herbs and salt added the savory taste. The black pepper also made them a little spicy. My only complaint was they were a little thick, next time I will try to roll them thinner.

This recipe was inspired by a recipe from SpiceFoodie.

Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 24-30 crackers


Recipe
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (plus a little more for rolling and dusting)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons italian herbs (mixed rosemary, thyme, oregano)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water
4 tablespoons olive oil

Method
1. Pre-head the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Vegan cheese, apples, and homemade crackers!
2. Add all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Make a well in the center and add the water and olive oil. Stir until the flour is no longer visible.
4. Sprinkle flour on the place you will roll them out. Add more sprinkled flour to the top or your dough and dust your roller with flour.
5. Roll the dough so that it is about 1/8 inch thick and transfer to a baking dish lined with parchment paper.
6. Use a pizza slicer to cut the crackers to the desired size and shape.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes and then remove from the oven.
8.  Move the crackers to a cooking rack and give them about 8 minutes to cool.
9. Sprinkle with a little salt and/or herbs.

You can really get creative with the herbs and spices added. What kinds of herbs will you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment