Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Puffed Rice Bars




I have been craving chocolate all weekend. First I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies but I ran out of time. Then I wanted a vegan chocolate chip cookie sandwich at Crazy Burger but I was too full.

I wanted decided to make something sweet but somewhat healthy. I found an awesome recipe for puffed quinoa cookies on Pintrist that inspired me to make these bars. These bars were very easy, quick, and delicious!


This recipe is great because it doesn't use sugar but maple syrup. I am trying to stay away from using sugar, especially refined sugar, in my desserts as much as possible. The chocolate went really well with the Kumquats!


Ingredients
1 tsp vegan butter (Earth Balance)
1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
1 cup of homemade peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup of soy milk
3 cups of puffed rice

Method
1. Heat 1 tsp of Earth Balance on medium low heat until it melts evenly.
2. Add the chocolate and mix consistently until all the chocolate is melted.
3. Mix together the peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, and soy milk together until well combined.
4. Fold in the puffed rice until the peanut butter mixture is evenly distributed.
5. Line a 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper.
6.  Pour the rice mixture into the baking dish and press down.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture over the top and spread with a spatula so that all of the rice is covered.
8. Put the baking dish in the freezer for about 2 hours. You can leave it in for longer if needed.

Before Freezing
After Freezing
9. When you take it out, let the pan sit for about 5 minutes before cutting so the chocolate doesn't crack.
10. Your treat is ready to eat!

1 comment: